Grants and Awards
Each year, Film Independent awards a number of grants and fellowships to help filmmakers with their current projects, as well as to recognize them for past accomplishments. This past year, we gave an estimated $775,000 in cash grants and in-kind donations to our selected Fellows.
Alfred P. Sloan Grants
Since 2007, Film Independent and the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation have joined forces to encourage filmmakers to create more realistic and accurate stories about science and technology, and to challenge existing stereotypes about scientists and engineers in the popular imagination. Each year, Film Independent awards a $50,000 Sloan Distribution Grant, a $30,000 Sloan Producers Grant and a $20,000 Sloan Fast Track Grant. Please visit Producing Lab or Fast Track for more information on how to apply, and Sloan Producers Grant Recipients and Sloan Fast Track Grant Recipients for list of winners. For more information about the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation please visit http://www.sloan.org.
Canon Filmmaker Award Program
The Canon Filmmaker Award Program is a program for Film Independent Fellows, alumni of the Los Angeles Film Festival, and Spirit Awards Nominees and Winners. Film Independent will select qualified filmmakers on a quarterly basis who will be loaned Canon camera packages for their production. These packages will be reserved for filmmakers who are preparing to shoot feature length narrative films. The Award includes a Canon Cinema EOS package loaned to assist the winning filmmaker with a qualifying feature. To apply, visit Applications & Deadlines.
- 2014 Third Quarter Recipient: Rodrigo Reyes, Under the Sun
- 2014 Second Quarter Recipient: Emily Ting, It’s Already Tomorrow in Hong Kong
- 2014 First Quarter Recipient: Josh Penn, Ad Inexplorata
- 2013 Fourth Quarter Recipients: J. Davis & Steve Bannatyne, Manson Family Vacation
- 2013 Third Quarter Recipients: Chad Burris & Hossein Keshavarz, A Pebble of Love
- 2013 Second Quarter Recipient: Milena Pastreich, Birdmen
- 2013 First Quarter Recipients: Elena Greenlee & Márcia Nunes, Manos Sucias
- 2012 Recipient: Asiel Norton, Orion
Film LA Grant
The Film LA Grant is a program for Film Independent Fellows, alumni of the Los Angeles Film Festival, and Spirit Awards Nominees and Winners. Film Independent will select two qualified filmmakers on a quarterly basis who will be given permits for their production. These permits will be reserved for filmmakers who are preparing to shoot feature length narrative films. Grantees will be given a two-week permit to film in up to ten locations. For more information about locations please visit http://www.filmla.com/. To apply, visit Applications & Deadlines.
PANAVISION Feature Film Grant
The PANAVISION Feature Film Grant is a program for Film Independent Fellows, alumni of the Los Angeles Film Festival and Film Independent Spirit Award Nominees. Film Independent will select a qualified filmmaker who will be loaned a film or digital camera package (based on availability) to filmmakers for his or her feature film production. To apply, visit Applications & Deadlines.
Every year at the Spirit Awards, Film Independent awards several Filmmaker Grants. The recipients of these awards become Film Independent Fellows and receive unrestricted cash grants of $25,000. Potential grant recipients are nominated by committee. For more information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
In-Kind Production Grants
Each year, Film Independent awards a number of in-kind production grants to qualified Film Independent Fellows who are filmmakers in production on a feature film. They include:
Arri Feature Film Grant: A selected Film Independent Alumnus will be awarded an ARRI Alexa package for a narrative feature film production.
- 2014 Recipients: Andrew Bujalski & Houston King, Results
- 2013 Recipients: Malik Vitthal & Katherine Fairfax Wright, Imperial Dreams
Panavision: A selected Fellow will be loaned a Panavision camera package for feature film production.
- 2014 Recipients: Zoe Cassavetes, Gina Kwon & Kate Roughan, Day Out of Days
Wildfire Post-Production Sound Grant: a complimentary Sound Mix provided by Wildfire Post-Production Studios on a feature film project.
- 2013 Recipients: Chad Burris & Sydney Freeland, Drunktown’s Finest
- 2012 Recipient: Sebastian Dungan, Afternoon Delight
Through donor-named fellowships, Film Independent supports our Fellows with cash grants.
Barbara Boyle Fellowship: awarded to a current outstanding participant in Project Involve.
- 2014 Recipient: Kimberly Hwang
- 2013 Recipient: Kate Marks
- 2012 Recipient: Ellie Wen
- 2011 Recipient: Mercedes Cooper
- 2010 Recipient: Aaliyah Williams
- 2008 Recipient: Fernanda Cardoso
Fox HBCU Media Alliance Fellowship in Project Involve: $10,000 awarded to a Project Involve Fellow.
LMU SFTV Fellowship: $10,000 awarded to a Loyola Marymount graduate in the Screenwriting Lab.
Millennium Fast Track Fellowship: $10,000 awarded to a narrative feature in the Fast Track Program.
- 2013 Recipients: Vincent Harris & Amy Hobby, Third Girl from the Left
- 2012 Recipients: Angela Lee & Mollye Asher, Lee
Roger and Chaz Ebert Fellowship: $10,000 awarded to a Film Independent Fellow.
- 2014 Recipient: Lulu Wang, Posthumous
- 2013 Recipient: Melissa Haizlip, Mr. Soul
- 2012 Recipient: Katie Fairfax Wright & Malika Zouhali-Worrall, Call Me Kuchu
Sony Diversity Fellowship: $10,000 awarded to a Project Involve Fellow.
Unilever Project Sunlight Bright Future Award: $25,000 awarded to a Film Independent Fellow with a project that explores topics of sustainability.
- 2014 Recipient: Patrick Creadon, If You Build It
Giorgio Armani Directing Fellowship: $10,000 awarded to a Film Independent Documentary Lab Fellow.
- 2012 Recipient: Grace Lee, The Evolution of Grace Lee Boggs
HBO Documentary Fellowship: a $10,000 award to a documentary filmmaker participating in Fast Track.
Elizabeth Peña Fellowship: provides a $10,000 production grant to a Latino filmmaker who has participated in Project Involve.
- 2010 Recipient: George Reyes, La Muneca Fea
Elle/Garnier Fellowship: celebrates the accomplishments of a Directing Lab Fellow with a $10,000 grant.
- 2010 Recipient: Jennifer Arnold, A Small Act
- 2009 Recipient: Bridget Bedard, Operation June Black
LG Cinema 3D Fellowship: a $10,000 production grant awarded to a current Project Involve Fellow.
- 2012 Recipient, Aurora Guerrero, Mosquita y Mari
Color Space Grant: a complimentary color correction grant given to a feature film project.
- 2012 Recipient: William Saunders, Billy Mize and the Bakersfield Sound.
Dolby: Film Independent will award up to $10,000 in digital cinema mastering services by Dolby to a short or feature. Film Independent will also give out $4,500 in screening room rental use and three Dolby festival licenses valued at $2,000 each.
Hollywood Rentals: complimentary production services awarded to a feature film:
- 2012 Recipient: Sharat Raju, California Solo
New Hat: complimentary color correction on a feature film.
- 2011 Recipient: Nicholas Bruckman, Valley of Saints.
Sponsor a Grant
Donors have the opportunity to directly support individual FIND Fellows by establishing a Donor Named Fellowship – providing filmmaker grants and education to exceptional artists.