CANON FILMMAKER AWARD PROGRAM
The Canon Filmmaker Award Program is a program for Film Independent Fellows, alumni of the Los Angeles Film Festival and Spirit Awards Nominees and Winners.
Film Independent will select qualified filmmakers on a quarterly basis who will be loaned Canon camera packages for their production. These packages will be reserved for filmmakers who are scheduled to shoot feature-length narrative or documentary films (or in special cases, short films) during the quarter immediately following the application deadline.
The Award includes a camera package of one (1) Canon Cinema EOS C300 package loaned to assist the winning filmmaker with a qualifying feature.
- Applicants must be the director or producer of a feature – narrative or documentary – that is preparing to shoot.
- Applicants must be either (a) alumni of Film Independent’s Artist Development programs; (b) alumni of the Los Angeles Film Festival; (c) a past Spirit Award Nominee or Winner; or (d) solicited by Film Independent.
- All submitted films must be feature length, and in special cases, short films will be considered.
- Applicants must be current Film Independent members.
How to Apply*
To be considered for the Canon Filmmaker Award Program, qualifying filmmakers must apply on the Film Independent website. Applicants must complete the online application form, which includes:
- $45 application fee
- Cover letter explaining your interest in the Award, and why you feel the Canon camera package is best suited to your production needs and artistic vision
- Detailed written plan outlining the filmmaker’s production timeline and funds raised to date
- Project status and history, including any awards the script has won, talent development programs the project has been developed in, etc.
- Top-sheet of budget
- A copy of the script
- Logline and synopsis
- Bios of key cast and crew
- Name and bio of cinematographer, along with sample of cinematographer’s previous work (online link or DVD)
*Filmmaker understands that if selected, in order to receive the equipment loan they will be required to sign an agreement with Canon allowing them access to assets and to capture testimonials (print, photo & video) in conjunction with this program for promotional purposes should they request it. Canon will work with filmmakers to ensure public release of these materials are aligned with the films’ marketing and PR strategy.
The Canon Filmmaker Award is awarded on a quarterly basis. Film Independent will review all submissions for each award cycle and select a winner of the award. The winner will be featured on the Film Independent website.
Film Independent employs the following guidelines in making its selections:
- Overall quality of script
- Strength of production plan
- Strength of cinematographer’s previous work
- Uniqueness of vision
- Original, provocative subject matter
- Economy of means
- Well-conceived plan for use of the award
- Well-conceived, creative marketing plan for film
Overseeing the Award
Film Independent staff will select the winner of the award on a quarterly basis, will oversee the administration of the award to the winning filmmaker and will monitor the production throughout.
Previous Canon Filmmaker Award Recipients
If you have questions or need more information, please contact Jennifer Kushner, Director of Artist Development: firstname.lastname@example.org.