AbelCine Camera Grant
The AbelCine Camera Grant is a program for Film Independent Fellows, alumni of the LA Film Festival and Film Independent Spirit Award Nominees.
Film Independent will select a qualified filmmaker who will be loaned a digital camera package (based on availability) to use for his or her feature film production or web series.
- Applicants must be the director, producer or cinematographer of a narrative fiction feature or web series that is preparing to shoot in the United States between the designated grant loan periods listed below.
- Applicants must be either: A) alumni of Film Independent’s Artist Development programs; B) alumni of the LA Film Festival; C) a past Film Independent Spirit Award Nominee; or D) solicited by Film Independent. Grant recipients must obtain insurance from an outside insurance agent.
- Production start date must not be prior to the grant loan period for which you are applying.
- If awarded, grant winner(s) must be, or become, current Film Independent Members.
For more information on the application deadline please visit our applications page.
Grant Period One
- Call for Entries/Submissions open between May 1 – June 15
- Winner announced on or about July 1
- Gear delivered between July 15 – September 1
Grant Period Two
- Call for Entries/Submissions open between September 2 – October 15
- Winner announced on or about November 1
- Gear delivered between November 15 – January 1
Grant Period Three
- Call for Entries/Submissions open between December 1 – January 15
- Winner announced on or about February 1
- Gear delivered between February 15 – April 1
Grant Period Four
- Call for Entries/Submissions open between February 1 – March 15
- Winner announced on or about June 1
- Gear delivered between June 15 – August 1
How to Apply
To be considered for the AbelCine Feature Film Grant, qualifying filmmakers must apply on the Film Independent website. Applicants must complete the online application form, which includes:
- $65 application fee; $45 for current Film Independent Members
- Cover letter explaining your interest in the award and why you feel a Sony F55 camera package is best suited to your production needs and artistic vision
- Director’s statement
- Cinematographer’s statement
- Detailed written plan outlining the filmmaker’s production timeline and funds raised to date
- Project status and history, including any awards the project has received, artist development programs the project has participated in, etc.
- Top-sheet of budget
- A copy of the script
- Logline and synopsis
- Bios of key cast and crew
- Name and bio of cinematographer, along with sample of cinematographer’s previous work (online link or DVD)
Filmmaker understands that if selected, in order to receive the equipment loan, he or she will be required to sign an agreement with Sony and AbelCine, allowing them access to assets and to capture testimonials (print, photo and video) in conjunction with this program for promotional purposes. Sony will work with filmmakers to ensure public release of these materials is aligned with the film’s marketing and PR strategy. Filmmaker is responsible for cost of shipping camera package anywhere outside of Los Angeles, California.
- Sony PMW-F55 CineAlta 4K
- Prime/Zoom Lens Package
- Cinema Follow Focus & Mattebox Setup
- 5-8″ Field Monitor
- 17-24″ Onset Monitor
- Raw Recorder
- Wireless Video Transmitter System
- Cinema Fluid Head
- High Hat
- Low Hat
- Standard Legs
- Baby Legs
- Cinema Block Batteries
- Cinema On-Board Batteries
- Filter Set
AbelCine will do their best to accommodate specific model and brand requests but any such requests are subject to availability. Additional camera package accessories may be requested and will be accommodated when possible.
Learn more about the Sony PMW-F55 CineAlta 4K Camera.
Selection Process & Overseeing the Award
Film Independent will review all submissions and select a winner of the grant, in conjunction with AbelCine. The selection process will take into consideration the strength of the creative team and the uniqueness of vision of the project. Film Independent and AbelCine will oversee the administration of the grant to the winning filmmaker and monitor the production throughout.
If you have questions or need more information, please contact Angel Kristi Williams, Artist Development Associate: [email protected].