We are currently accepting LA Film Festival submissions.
Submit your film via Film Freeway today!
2017 LA Film Festival: June 14-22, 2017
Early Bird Deadline: October 28, 2016
Regular Deadline: November 18, 2016
Late Deadline: December 16, 2016
Exclusive Late Deadline for Film Independent Members only will be announced in the coming weeks.
Submission fees are waived for Film Independent Filmmaker Pro Members. Submissions are discounted for general Film Independent Members ($10 off feature length films, $5 off short films). More information below.
- Feature films must have been completed after May 2016.
- World premieres are required for feature-length films. Short films must be an LA premiere.
- Feature films that have had public or festival screenings in Southern California – including Los Angeles, Orange and/or Ventura counties – are ineligible.
- Feature films that have had commercial theatrical, television, or internet play in the US are ineligible.
- Feature films in a language other than English must be subtitled in English for Festival consideration and presentation.
- Please observe the running time frames for your submission:
- Feature-length fiction and documentary films — more than 65 minutes
- Short films — less than 26 minutes
- Mid-length short films — between 26 and 45 minutes
- High school shorts — less than 20 minutes
- Episodic content — less than 12 minutes
- Films that have been submitted for consideration in previous years are eligible for re-submission.
- For submission purposes, films may be works-in-progress and/or in rough cut form, with temporary soundtracks or digital outputs. Please be sure your film is audible.
- Filmmakers must deliver final format (as indicated in the Screening Requirements section below) for Festival screenings. No exceptions will be permitted.
- High school shorts must be works shot, directed and produced by high school or secondary (pre-college) students. Adult supervision must be limited to an advisory capacity.
Films selected for the LA Film Festival’s competition sections are eligible for Juried Awards.
The LA Film Festival is a qualifying festival for prestigious awards in the film industry. Films selected for the LA Film Festival qualify for the following nominations: the Spirit Awards (for feature-length films), the Academy Awards® in the Narrative, Animated, and Documentary Short Film categories (short films), and a Cinema Eye Honors for Non Fiction Filmmaking (for documentary feature films).
All submissions must be made via Film Freeway. Required submission materials are listed below.
- Completed submission form, submitted online via Film Freeway.
- We prefer all screeners to be submitted online. However, we also accept DVDs if necessary. Three (3) DVD copies are required (Region 0 or 1 and NTSC preferred). For short films (under 45 mins.), submit one (1) DVD.
- Submission fee payment.
- For any mailed materials, write your Film Freeway Submission ID number on the envelope and, if submitting a DVD, on the disk. Please Note: we greatly prefer online screeners, not DVDs. Learn more on our Submission FAQ page.
- Do not submit a press kit. We will request press kits only once a film has been accepted (see below).
Complete your online submission form before submitting your materials. Submission materials must be delivered together in one package. DVDs and other submission materials will not be returned, and will be recycled through a secure facility.
We greatly prefer digital, online submissions. However, if you are not able to upload your film and can only send a DVD, please include the English language title and the running time on the DVD itself. Indicate the region-coding of the disc and if the DVD is in PAL format, print “PAL” on the disc. If submitting a work-in-progress, indicate the elements that are incomplete on the DVD.
All costs for shipping submission materials are the responsibility of the sender. We recommend shipping your DVD in a protective, bubble-pack envelope. Fiber-pack envelopes can damage DVDs and DVD players. The Festival is not responsible for any damage to submitted materials incurred in shipping.
All entries from outside the US should be sent Air Mail Registered or by a parcel or express service. We cannot accept entries shipped via air-freight if customs and delivery fees have not been paid.
You may submit more than one film, but each must be accompanied by its own submission form and entry fee.
*Waived fees for Film Independent Filmmaker Pro Members (one submission fee waiver per Filmmaker Pro Member). Discounted fees for general Film Independent Members ($10 off feature length films, $5 off short films).
Members, contact [email protected] to request your discount code.
Payment is made via Film Freeway. Do not send cash.
If your film or music video is selected for exhibition, please be advised that the Festival will require:
- For feature-length and short films: DCP (must be DCI compliant)
- For episodic content and high school shorts: Quicktime files (native resolution, using Pro-Res 422 Codec) on DVD data disc or hard drive.
- Digital press kits with photo stills (color and black/white)
- Headshots of director(s) and writer(s)
- One sentence publicity synopsis of film; 150 word synopsis of film
- Trailers, clip reels, posters, postcards and EPKs (if available) to maximize exposure for your film
Questions? Take a peek at our Submission FAQ page.