Designed to hone a writer’s unique voice through the development of a single feature screenplay
The Screenwriting Lab is a week-long workshop beginning in February, designed to provide individualized story and career development for emerging screenwriters with a fiction feature screenplay.
Each Screenwriting Fellow will be paired with a Creative Advisor, with whom they’ll work one-on-one and in group sessions to further develop their project over the course of the program. The Screenwriting Lab also helps to further the careers of its Fellows by introducing them to film industry veterans who can offer guidance on both the craft and business of screenwriting. A variety of guest speakers may screen and discuss their own films and offer career insights, and a final pitch event offers further opportunity for individualized feedback and discussion with industry executives.
For more information on the application deadline please visit our applications page.
Who Can Apply?
The Screenwriting Lab is open to any writer applying with a completed draft of a feature-length project they wish to workshop during the program, with an eye toward production. More details available in the FAQ section below.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit the following materials for consideration:
- A cover letter detailing what drew you to apply to the Screenwriting Lab and why this is the right time for you to participate in the program (500 words max)
- One complete, feature-length screenplay
- An artist statement explaining the genesis of the story, your creative vision and intentions for the film (750 words max)
- A look book (optional)
- A logline (35 words) and synopsis for the film
- Bios of attached key cast and crew, if any – Attachments are not required for consideration
- Project status and history, including any relevant development history, awards received or labs and/or markets attended with the project
- A narrative directing sample, if you plan on directing the film with which you are applying
- Screenwriting Lab is for writers only; other collaborators are not invited to participate.
- Writing partners/teams are welcome to apply and need only submit one application.
- We are open to filmmakers at any level of experience.
- International applicants are eligible; the script must be translated into English for consideration.
- Adaptations are eligible; the applicant must retain rights to the underlying material.
- At this time, documentary, short film and television projects are not eligible to apply.
- We will reconsider projects that have previously been submitted, provided the writer(s) can demonstrate progress on the project and/or professional development.
- Filmmakers may apply to multiple Film Independent Artist Development programs and there is no requirement to have participated in any one program before another.
- FREE for Filmmaker Pro Members (limited to one waived fee per Membership year)
- $45 for Film Independent Members
- $65 for non-Members
Please note: Each applicant must be the author of the script he/she submits.
The Fine Print
Beyond the application fee, there is no cost or tuition to participate in any of Film Independent’s Artist Development programs.
Film Independent Membership is not required when applying to Artist Development Labs. However, all participants accepted into the Labs are required to join Film Independent at the standard annual General Membership rate of $95.
Applicants will be notified three to four weeks prior to the start of the program.
Applicants who are invited to participate in the program should plan to be in Los Angeles for the duration of the Lab. Film Independent is unable to subsidize any travel, lodging and/or visa expenses for any participants attending from outside of Los Angeles. Participants are expected to attend all sessions in person.
For more information, please email: email@example.com.
To learn more about Film Independent Fellows and their projects, visit our Talent Guide.