Film Independent Members enjoy access to over 250 annual events and screenings, plus an array of Member services.
General Member Benefits
At Film Independent, we proudly serve the film community with over 250 year-round events and screenings, and an array of valuable services. The following benefits are available to all Members starting at just $95/year. Take a closer look and become a General Member today.
Film Independent Spirit Awards
Since 1987, the Film Independent Spirit Awards has been an exclusive celebration of the best independent films of the year. Film Independent Members comprise the voting body that determines the winners. Awards season benefits include:
- Exclusive voting privileges
- Access to DVD/digital online screeners of select nominated films – Membership must be active as of December 7, 2017
- Member invitation with guest to the free Nominee Screening Series, featuring theatrical screenings of all nominated films (takes place in Los Angeles)
- Invitations to attend additional awards season screenings
LA Film Festival
Film Independent produces the world-class LA Film Festival each June. Members enjoy exclusive benefits, including:
- Members-only priority pre-sale period
- 10% off all Festival Passes
- $2 off Regular Screening tickets and $5 off Special Screening tickets
- Invitation to a free Film Independent Member Reception
- Invitation to a free Film Independent Members-only Screening
Film Independent at LACMA
Film Independent at LACMA is a year-round, weekly film series that offers unique cinematic experiences for the Los Angeles creative community. Members have the opportunity to select tickets one week in advance of the general public.
- Free Members-Only Screenings (+1 guest per Member)
- $5 Repertory Screenings ($10 for general public)
- $15 An Evening With… events ($25 for general public)
- Priority registration period for all Free Screenings
Applications & Submissions
Members receive special rates and deadlines on submissions to Film Independent’s Artist Development Programs, the Spirit Awards, and the LA Film Festival.
- $20 off Artist Development submission fees, plus extended deadlines
- $50 off Spirit Awards submissions fees (regular and final deadlines)
- Discounted submissions to the LA Film Festival ($10 off features/$5 off shorts), plus a Members-only extended deadline
Film Education Events
Film Independent produces monthly conversations, case studies, education and networking events that are free or discounted for Members, as well as popular annual events such as the Film Independent Forum and Directors Close-Up.
- Access to advice and expertise from highly successful filmmakers and industry professionals
- Classes and workshops designed to build your skill set and help further your career
- Up to 25% off Film Independent Forum passes
- More than 15% off Directors Close-Up passes
Members can reserve casting space at the Film Independent offices Monday through Friday, 10:30 am – 5:00 pm. In addition to casting rooms, services/amenities include a check-in desk, seating for actors, WiFi and project signage.
- Half-day session: $40
- Full day session: $60
Online Member Services
Members can create a profile at my.filmindependent.org to gain access to a number of online resources:
The Filmmaker Toolkit includes case studies, sample budgets, industry contact lists and more, all at your fingertips. Access Member Deals that offer savings of 20% or more on a variety of filmmaker services. Our Message Board allows you to search and post job opportunities, plus share news with fellow Members. Use the Member Connect service to search the Membership community by profession and level of experience.
If you’re a serious filmmaker in any phase of production, you can take your projects further by becoming a Filmmaker Pro.
If you just love movies, you can elevate your film-going experience with our brand new Film Lover Membership.
If you’re interested in involvement at the highest level, consider Film Independent’s Arts Circle. Arts Circle Members include individuals, foundations and companies that recognize the importance of supporting artist-driven, original storytelling.