The Film Independent Camera Grant
The Film Independent Camera Grant is a program for Film Independent Fellows and alumni. Film Independent will select a qualified filmmaker, on a rolling basis, who will be loaned a digital camera body (based on availability) to use for their narrative or documentary short, feature film production or web series. The grant includes an ARRI Alexa SXT Plus camera body OR a Blackmagic URSA Mini Pro 4.6K.
- Applicants must be the director, producer or cinematographer of a narrative or documentary short, feature film production or web series.
- Applicants must be either: A) alumni of Film Independent’s Artist Development programs; B) alumni of the LA Film Festival; C) a past Film Independent Spirit Award Nominee; or D) solicited by Film Independent. Grant recipients must show proof of production insurance.
- Camera body will be awarded for prep and principle photography. Dates must be provided in the application.
- Project must be at least 75% financed when applying.
- If the applicant is not the cinematographer, a cinematographer must be attached.
- If awarded, grant winner(s) must be, or become, Film Independent Members.
For more information on the application deadline please visit our applications page.
Dates & Deadlines
Grant Period: Rolling
Please note: Application must be submitted at least 30 days prior to production start date.
How to Apply
To be considered for the Film Independent Camera Grant, qualifying filmmakers must apply on the Film Independent website. Applicants must complete the online application form, which includes:
- $65 application fee; $45 for current Film Independent Members
- Cover letter explaining your interest in the award and why you feel a specific camera package is best suited to your production needs and artistic vision
- Director’s statement
- Cinematographer’s statement
- Detailed written plan outlining the filmmaker’s production timeline and funds raised to date
- Project status and history, including any awards the project has received, artist development programs the project has participated in, etc.
- Top-sheet of budget
- A copy of the script
- Logline and synopsis
- Bios of key cast and crew
- Name and bio of cinematographer, along with sample of cinematographer’s previous work (online link or DVD)
Filmmaker understands that if selected, in order to receive the equipment loan, they will be required to sign an agreement with Film Independent, allowing them access to assets and to capture testimonials (print, photo and video) in conjunction with this program for promotional purposes. A usage fee of $500 and a refundable deposit are also required. Filmmaker is responsible for cost of shipping camera package anywhere outside of Los Angeles and is also responsible for general liability and miscellaneous equipment insurance. Insurance requirements must be satisfied before filmmaker preps camera equipment.
- ARRI ALEXA SXT Plus Body (1) – all licenses included
- ARRI EVF-1
- 4 batteries: Dynacore DM-155s
- 1 charger: Dynacore 4 Bank V-Mount Charger D4s
- 2 Codex drives (256 GB each)
- 1 Codex Capture Drive Dock
- 1 camera body hard case
- Miscellaneous cables
- Sachtler System 20 S1 SL HD MCF
- Sachtler Video 20 S1 Fluid Head w/ Touch & Go Camera Plate and Pan Bar
- Sachtler SpeedLock Heavy-Duty Carbon Fibre Tripod for 100 mm Fluid Heads
- Sachtler Mid-Level Spreader for 100/150 mm tripods
- Sachtler Rubber Feet for 100/150 mm tripods
- Sachtler Padded Bag 16-step Counterbalance Supports, 4–55 lbs (2–25 kg)
- Blackmagic URSA Mini Pro 4.6K (2)
Selection Process & Overseeing the Award
Film Independent will review all submissions and select a winner of the grant. The selection process will take into consideration the strength of the creative team and the uniqueness of vision of the project. Film Independent will oversee the administration of the grant to the winning filmmaker and monitor the production throughout.
If you have questions or need more information, please email us at email@example.com.