Sloan Distribution Grant
The Sloan Distribution Grant is a $50,000 grant awarded by Film Independent to a film that is entering its distribution phase. Eligible films must depict themes, stories and characters grounded in real science, technology or economics.
- Applicants must be the producer of a narrative fiction feature film.
- The film should prominently feature science, mathematics and/or technology in the story and/or have a leading character that is a scientist, engineer or mathematician.
- Films with innovative marketing and distribution plans are encouraged to apply.
- All submitted films must be at least 70 minutes in length.
- Applicants must be legal residents of the United States.
- Film must be entering its distribution phase.
For more information on the application deadline please visit our applications page.
How to Apply
To be considered for the Alfred P. Sloan Distribution Grant, qualifying filmmakers must submit and online application on the Film Independent website during the application period. The online application includes:
- Cover letter explaining your interest in the grant.
- Project status and history.
- A proposal for the distribution and marketing strategy based on current status of the film; including any sales, offers or ongoing negotiations.
- Bios of key cast and crew, including sales agent and publicist if applicable.
- A link to view the film online.
- Logline and synopsis.
- Non-refundable application fee ($45 for Film Independent Members, $65 for non-Members)
Film Independent will review all submissions and select a maximum of three (3) finalists. Film Independent will require more detailed proposals from the finalists, detailing how they would use the grant funds to add value to their distribution options or support an alternative distribution strategy. The winning filmmaker must become a Film Independent Member.
Film Independent employs the following guidelines in making its selections:
- Uniqueness of vision
- Original, provocative subject matter
- Economy of means
- Percentage of financing from independent sources
- Well-conceived plan for how to use the grant funds to maximize the audience for one’s film
Overseeing the Award
Film Independent staff will oversee the distribution of funds to the winning filmmaker and will monitor the way(s) in which those funds are used.
If you have questions or need more information, please contact Jennifer Kushner, Director of Artist Development: [email protected].