It’s Day Two of the 2017 LA Film Festival at Culver City’s Kirk Douglas Theatre on a warm Thursday evening. The house lights are low and soft blue lighting shines down upon the stage from overhead, illuminating a matching chair and couch. Moments later, the seats are filled by Festival moderator Stacy Wilson Hunt (Hollywood Editor for New York Magazine and Vulture.com) and her guests: Fred Armisen and Carrie Brownstein, creators and stars of IFC’s long-running sketch show Portlandia. The panel? Portlandia: A Look Back and a Look Forward.
Portlandia will soon begin production on its eighth and final season. But before Armisen and Brownstein jet back to Stumptown to begin wrapping up their epic send-up of 21st-century hipster culture they’ve come to share a look back at some of their favorite moments from the show’s long, critically-acclaimed run, as well as share a few hints about what may be in store for viewers in Season Eight.
Now… I could just share a handful of tasty quotes, revelations and comments from the two BFFs, sometime musicians and comedic masterminds. But where’s the fun in that? Instead, I welcome you to the “Are You Worthy of Portlandia Citizenship?” super-quiz. Ready? Good! Here we go:
- Who is Fred’s favorite character?
- Who is Carrie’s favorite character to play?
- Who is Fred’s favorite guest star?
- True or False? All scenes in Portlandia are filmed on location in
- Which guest star’s acting performance does Carrie say blew her away?
- Which project was the predecessor to Portlandia (and also included many of the show’s soon-to-be beloved characters)?
- True or False? All extras in the show are actual, local Portland residents.
- True or False? The show was conceived from the beginning to take place in Portland.
- 1 – 3 correct answers: You can visit, but better keep a low profile.
- 4 – 6 correct answers: You can’t live in Portland, but you’ve earned bicycling privileges and are allowed to frequent the best coffee shops in town.
- 7 – 8 correct answers: Congratulations! You’re ready to move to Portland, stretch your ears, tattoo your arms and wear corduroy in July.
1. Vince, the goth. 2. Toni, from the feminist bookstore. 3. Glenn Danzig. 4. True. 5. Martina Navratilova. 6. Fred and Carrie filmed short scenes under the name ThunderAnt. 7. True. 8. False. IFC actually suggested that the show take place entirely within the city of Portland.
The 2017 LA Film Festival is currently underway, June 14—22, headquartered at the ArcLight Cinemas Culver City, with additional screenings at ArcLight Hollywood, ArcLight Santa Monica, LACMA and The Theatre at Ace Hotel. Check out the Festival Guide here.
Stay tuned to our Twitter, Facebook and Instagram for the latest new additions and updates. And don’t forget to subscribe to our YouTube channel for more exciting announcements. Tickets and passes are on sale now.
Sold out screenings? Get in with a Festival pass. In addition to screenings and special events (even when sold out) Festival passes provide entry to our super-fun Festival Lounge, featuring a 21+ hosted bar and the opportunity to rub shoulders with Festival filmmakers and other film industry professionals. Buy yours. Film Independent Members save up to 25%.